Monday, August 20, 2007

research

I recently bought a book at National Bookstore, one of the biggest bookstores here in the Philippines, if not the biggest. The book is entitled, Pocket Guide to the Operating Room Second edition by Maxine A. Goldman.

The book is really a big help for me, who doesn’t have an extensive knowledge in Medicine and Surgery, but since I am taking Medical Transcription, I took it upon myself to research about the subjects and understand more than what a medical term means. The book covers a lot of subjects on the different procedures in the operative room. Before I had this, I was in the dark seeking where can I find the instruments in a given procedure. I am now in the Genitourinary Medicine subject in my course, this subject/module requires us to transcribe at least 30 audio dictations for different clinical reports. These dictations are actual surgical procedures, which are very technical in some ways. There are a lot of instances that you really have to do a lot of research to find the exact word that is being dictated. Some dictations, mind you, are not clear, and the words spoken are sometimes garbled. You can leave the space blank, though but I see to it that before I leave the space blank, I have exhausted all my efforts to find the exact word.

With this book, I seldom leave a blank space for the garbled words. I know I am not the only student, who experiences this problem with the dictations, especially for those who are taking this course at their own pace at home. The book is really cheap considering the value of its content; at 180php it could make your transcribing a lot easier.

No comments: